13 Reasons Why

Chat about your favourite shows here. SPOILERS naturally!
Tusky
Admin

13 Reasons Why

Post by Tusky » Sun May 20, 2018 12:14 pm

This is a spoiler zone!!
Episode 25: Jessica Ballinger, Cut, Grav3yard Girl, Chris Ingham
Soundcloud: https://bit.ly/2vEKdNC iTunes: https://apple.co/2J0dcQp

TheGrinch
Foliage

Re: 13 Reasons Why

Post by TheGrinch » Sun May 20, 2018 12:46 pm

I have 13 questions and every single one of them is "why does this show exist?"

Tusky
Admin

Post by Tusky » Sun May 20, 2018 12:49 pm

TheGrinch wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:46 pm
I have 13 questions and every single one of them is "why does this show exist?"
Who was like "let's make a TV show about suicide, rape and bullying and promote it like its romantic" and why is Selena Gomez producing it and why did I waste my life watching 2 seasons?

Like some of it is ok but jfc its nsfl

Sunglass
Seed

Post by Sunglass » Sun May 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Can someone tell me what happens in episode 13 please? Cause I really don’t wanna watch it

idontthinkso
Foliage

Post by idontthinkso » Sun May 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Wow this is very controversial.

When I saw season 1 I liked it at first, in that it showed that someone might be in pain even if it's not very evident.

But then I read the impressions of many others who were dealing with depression or who had suicidal family members, and I actually saw it in a completely different angle.

On the surface, it wants to teach people not to be superficial and not to be assholes. But in rality, it's a depressed/suicidal person's fantasy: only after they die, people understand the person's value and the person in revenged forever, leaving all their enemies grieving, and having the boy's attention.

Under this light, it is a disgusting show that offers unnecessary detail on how rape and suicide happen, and it is a romantic fantasy waiting to become reality. It is a very, very dangerous show.

Of course Ignorantleen and a bunch of other idiot youtubers flaunt it on their channels - they need that Netflix money.

Tusky
Admin

Post by Tusky » Sun May 20, 2018 10:31 pm

Sunglass wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:53 pm
Can someone tell me what happens in episode 13 please? Cause I really don’t wanna watch it
Spoilers dont read this comment if you wanna see the finale or are uncomfortable with graphic stuff.

Basically this kid who is straight bullied all season gets sent to a therapy camp and comes back happy and positive. The jocks find him and are mad he called them a rapist earlier. He gets jumped in a bathroom and beaten while hes trying to implement these therapy tips. Then they trap him in a toilet and graphically uh put a broom somewhere no broom should go. But you see him put all his force in and this kid just break.then he tries to be a fucking school shooter but the main character talks him down 🙄🙄🙄

And that doesnt include all the subtle anti speaking out about rape it promotes.

rigull
Sprout

Post by rigull » Wed May 23, 2018 11:40 am

I'm glad the show exist. I was suicidal when I was a teenager. I was raped when I was 14, and I had no family (the only one I had was my older brother) I'm now a lot older (25) and my life couldn't be better, and this is because I realised everything isn't about the evil people, and family isn't everything (I found my boyfriend and his family and I still have my brother) ...and tbh... Hannah had everything. But I'm glad the TV show still exist and bullies and rapists should be punished harder. In my country you only get 2 years for raping someone :/ so this one is really important to me.

joewalshgroupie
Sprout

Post by joewalshgroupie » Thu May 24, 2018 11:15 pm

I read the book back in high school and I just didn't care for it at all. The whole thing just felt very blame game heavy. I feel like it could have been an interesting look at mental health but it failed horribly.

kinoko
Sprout

Post by kinoko » Sat May 26, 2018 5:02 am

Idk, though I've struggled in the past, I'm in a great stage in life right now but this show still manages to trigger a lot of grief in me at times. And I'm an adult. I can't imagine the horrific influence it could have on young kids and teenagers who are suffering with any of these issues.

The depictions in this show are irresponsible at best and actively harmful at worst. It's so distressing to watch. There's a difference between "starting the conversation" and showing graphic scenes that will mentally scar a lot of viewers. It feels gross. It feels like the people who make this show use the shock value of showing rapes and suicides on screen in order to get people to watch without any actual care for the real-life people who go through shit like this.

Also, the plot is really stupid!! It sucks! There are some redeeming scenes but for the most part the things that the characters do and say are so cliche and outlandish. This show wants to be realistic about real issues, but all it is a shock fest with unbearably cheesy and unrealistic dialogue. Not to mention the manic pixie dream girl that is Hannah Baker. She's probably THE WORST depressed protag they could have written.

This show shouldn't be so accessible to young kids, and I don't care how many trigger warnings they give, there is NO EXCUSE to show the stuff they show. To each their own, but I personally can't budge on my feelings about this show. These are REAL ISSUES that affect REAL PEOPLE, not fodder to exploit to get views on your Netflix show.

Return to “TV”