We have a Patreon

Please make sure you check out our announcements
Tusky
Admin

We have a Patreon

Post by Tusky » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:33 am

Hi guys!

We have been working on the site for around 6 months, and have had a great time doing it, we've bonded with some fantastic people, shared some amazing snark, and I think I can speak for all the admins when I say we genuinely love the community here.

We think we can eventually make this place even better. Right now we have a small community with people who want to talk about a lot of different YouTubers, but not enough people to keep those threads going, its hard for the admins to know about everyone, so we would really like to promo the site. We thought that with the userbase we had, we would be able to support ourselves by running ads. Unfortunately, since running ads, we haven't made enough to do anything worthwhile, as promotion gets really expensive. On top of that, we've decided we want to make the podcast a weekly thing, which takes time, and we want it to be just as successful.

So we've decided to bite the bullet and create a Patreon. Our plan is to use the monthly donations to promote the site, make it nicer and eventually create better rewards for people who choose to back the site.

At the moment we will be releasing the podcast a day early for backers and will be adding exclusive content for you all. We have created a discord for some of our backers, and will perhaps make a podcast out of those and work out how else we can reward Y'all.

Obviously it's not mandatory, you'll still have normal access to the site and podcast, it's just for those who want to give us a helping hand :)

https://www.patreon.com/thegossipgarden

<3 your admins
Episode 25: Jessica Ballinger, Cut, Grav3yard Girl, Chris Ingham
Soundcloud: https://bit.ly/2vEKdNC iTunes: https://apple.co/2J0dcQp

joewalshgroupie
Sprout

Re: We have a Patreon

Post by joewalshgroupie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:34 am

It might not be at all what you guys want to do but there's a YouTube show called Beer and Board Games and the channel has patreon. Their rewards are things like they name a board game piece after you or give you an insult or a toast depending on what you ask for and various other things. I really like their patreon because if you're unable to support them through patreon, you don't miss out on anything they upload. Their "rewards" are just cool little things. I think the idea of having rewards that don't isolate the people who are unable to afford to support the site with money could be something to think about. Like have supporters come up with thread names or let them choose who the podcast talks about each week. Or have your highest paid supporters on the podcast too. That way it involves the supporters into the process but it doesn't create a divide in the content between what people can and can't see based on their ability to pay.

Tusky
Admin

Post by Tusky » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:50 am

joewalshgroupie wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:34 am
It might not be at all what you guys want to do but there's a YouTube show called Beer and Board Games and the channel has patreon. Their rewards are things like they name a board game piece after you or give you an insult or a toast depending on what you ask for and various other things. I really like their patreon because if you're unable to support them through patreon, you don't miss out on anything they upload. Their "rewards" are just cool little things. I think the idea of having rewards that don't isolate the people who are unable to afford to support the site with money could be something to think about. Like have supporters come up with thread names or let them choose who the podcast talks about each week. Or have your highest paid supporters on the podcast too. That way it involves the supporters into the process but it doesn't create a divide in the content between what people can and can't see based on their ability to pay.
I agree. At this point, we don't have too much to offer anyone, so we needed to come up with something for an incentive (though not very good haha) for backers. I'd eventually like to maybe be able to send out stickers, or silly themed things

I'm not sure about letting backers pick thread titles since I know some people enjoy throwing in suggestions, plus sometimes things just move too quickly to wait for those responses. We have discussed getting top donors on though, or giving them the option to pick a 3rd youtuber to talk about.

I was also thinking we could do podcast specials where the donors pick a subject. I'm not sure though, i feel like that could be dangerous. If you have any ideas though, i'm all ears!
Episode 25: Jessica Ballinger, Cut, Grav3yard Girl, Chris Ingham
Soundcloud: https://bit.ly/2vEKdNC iTunes: https://apple.co/2J0dcQp

RatchetRachel
Admin

Post by RatchetRachel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:54 pm

And to also clarify we aren't making the podcast exclusive to patreon supporters, just offering a potential perk to get it a day early. We intend on making sure everyone will still get the podcast!
Podcast 25 - F*ck It, We'll Do It Live!
https://soundcloud.com/thegossipgarden/ ... do-it-live

joewalshgroupie
Sprout

Post by joewalshgroupie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:38 pm

ratchetrachel wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:54 pm
And to also clarify we aren't making the podcast exclusive to patreon supporters, just offering a potential perk to get it a day early. We intend on making sure everyone will still get the podcast!
Exactly! Yeah that's a good perk. I think the best patreon perks are the ones that don't make content exclusive.

questionable
Seed
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by questionable » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:21 am

So just out of curiosity, the funds from this patreon and the ads on this site are going exclusively back into the site? Is anyone pocketing anything?

RatchetRachel
Admin

Post by RatchetRachel » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:53 am

questionable wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:21 am
So just out of curiosity, the funds from this patreon and the ads on this site are going exclusively back into the site? Is anyone pocketing anything?
At this stage, everything we earn through ads and patreon has and will be going into the website (promotion and paying for the domain and web host in advance). Ad revenue fluctuates a lot, but once we've fully hit our stride and think we're in a solid place, we will be letting our backers know. If we do reach a point where the site is earning additional funds through ad revenue, patreon money will always be used for podcast advertisement and will not be pocketed. Those that opt to continue with patreon at that point will be for those who would like to keep supporting us and the podcast, and those who enjoy the bonus content.
Podcast 25 - F*ck It, We'll Do It Live!
https://soundcloud.com/thegossipgarden/ ... do-it-live

Return to “Announcements”