Re: #Spon Dawson and the Gucci Slide Gang Part 2

Post by strawberrybob » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:15 pm

anonymousfriend295 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:09 pm
strawberrybob wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:48 pm
Tusky wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:09 am

I mean Ryland looks like a literal 5ft toddler, which probably isn't jeffree's type lol. There was really no point to the squad.

I can see this becoming a thing kinda like Colleen, where Shane isn't going to be able to handle any criticism regarding his channel. The squad is good in situations where its JUST shane, or with a guest who doesn't hold their own.

Also, really, what does Ryland DO? He makes 1 video a week.
Lol I wonder the same thing. But apparently, he is just SOOO busy that he needs a fucking assistant I am DECEASED.
Ryland has an assistant? You've got to be kidding me...

But yeah, the whole squad is just lazy af. Morgan does nothing. Ryland does nothing. I don't even understand how Garrett pays his rent... at least the other two are outright mooching off of Shane; Garrett has his own place even though he only uploads like once a year lmao
Yeah Morgan did a video where she was Ryland's assistant for a day and then at the end Ryland says he already found someone else. Unbelievable, I know. He literally sits at home all day.

LemonSqueezy
Foliage

Post by LemonSqueezy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:21 pm

It took them a while to get there but I did catch some feels from that last part.

Anastasia
Foliage

Post by Anastasia » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:02 pm

The only thing I noticed is that they teased in several episodes something about Jeffree's stepfather with a clip of him saying something like "That's what my stepfather used to say [....] well that's why my mother divorced him..." which they never addressed.
Which obviously Jeffree may not have wanted to get into that, and he has no obligation to do so of course... but I think they shouldn't have put that clip in several times.

strawberrybob
Red Rose

Post by strawberrybob » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:59 pm

My pmssing ass self started crying when jeffree showed his scars lol that was deep as hell

Tusky
Admin

Post by Tusky » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:46 am

So, I have FEELINGS on this.
Firstly, I'm pissed that all that racism stuff was taken out of context. When I did my research, I couldn't find the actual videos but I read a few different places on what he said, and yeah he's still gross for dropping the N word, but it was so out of context to what actually happened and I'm disappointed that I put that info out there.

Jeffree was super interesting but I CANNOT with Shane.
1) His over the top reactions piss me off now. whAt theE FUCK JEFFREEEEEEEE. Maybe I would have bought his reaction IF HE DIDN'T DO THE SAME SHIT AT THE WAREHOUSE
2) Asking dumb fucking questions like "WhY dOn'T yOu TeLl PeOpLe ThIs?¿?" um because it's fucking personal Shane, not everyone wants to profit off their depression
3) Why isn't Shane exposing his own shit? He's telling other YTers off for hiding their shit to seem more relatable, but he does the same thing. Give us a series on your personal issue Shane, why aren't YOU doing that? why aren't YOU showing your finances?

Why is Shane the only one who can pretend he's poorer than he is? Why does Shane get to avoid having serious convos about his body issues?
These users thanked the author Tusky for the post:
pretendcat
Episode 25: Jessica Ballinger, Cut, Grav3yard Girl, Chris Ingham
Soundcloud: https://bit.ly/2vEKdNC iTunes: https://apple.co/2J0dcQp

anonymousfriend295
Sprout

Post by anonymousfriend295 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 am

strawberrybob wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:15 pm
Yeah Morgan did a video where she was Ryland's assistant for a day and then at the end Ryland says he already found someone else. Unbelievable, I know. He literally sits at home all day.
I assumed that was a joke... I would be so embarrassed to hire an assistant to... I don't even know what they would do for him? Bring him Starbucks? *eyeroll*
Tusky wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:46 am
So, I have FEELINGS on this.
Firstly, I'm pissed that all that racism stuff was taken out of context. When I did my research, I couldn't find the actual videos but I read a few different places on what he said, and yeah he's still gross for dropping the N word, but it was so out of context to what actually happened and I'm disappointed that I put that info out there.

Jeffree was super interesting but I CANNOT with Shane.
1) His over the top reactions piss me off now. whAt theE FUCK JEFFREEEEEEEE. Maybe I would have bought his reaction IF HE DIDN'T DO THE SAME SHIT AT THE WAREHOUSE
2) Asking dumb fucking questions like "WhY dOn'T yOu TeLl PeOpLe ThIs?¿?" um because it's fucking personal Shane, not everyone wants to profit off their depression
3) Why isn't Shane exposing his own shit? He's telling other YTers off for hiding their shit to seem more relatable, but he does the same thing. Give us a series on your personal issue Shane, why aren't YOU doing that? why aren't YOU showing your finances?

Why is Shane the only one who can pretend he's poorer than he is? Why does Shane get to avoid having serious convos about his body issues?
Totally agree with you. Jeffree still isn't my cup of tea. I'm not a fan of his style/aesthetic/personality. I'm not into makeup or emo culture or anything like that (went through a phase in high school where I would've been all about that though). So I'm not going to suddenly become a Jeffree Star fan. But I definitely respect his journey.

The racism things... I haven't looked into anything personally. And full disclosure, I'm a cis white guy, so I really have no right to judge anything like that. But I think comedy is a place where these kinds of complaints can get messy. Comedy and satire leave room for that kind of stuff -- so long as there's a point to it. What is the commentary you're making through that joke? I think that's the standard we, as a society, should be thinking about before labeling someone a racist or a homophobe or misogynistic. This is a big issue in the media right now -- what's the difference between Roseanne Barr's racist tweet and the terrible things James Gunn has posted? I love that minorities and subjugated people are finally getting a voice and change is happening, but sometimes I think our reactions are bit too knee-jerk. Context matters. Intent matters. I think it's wrong to just label someone something awful without understanding the point of what they were trying to convey, and that gets really complicated in the comedy/satire world. But it's a conversation we really need to have before ruining people's reputations.

/soapbox

Shane wasn't as bad this time. But when JS was showing his scars, that is NOT how you respond... the sad voice "what the fuck, Jeffree...?" was almost like he was shaming him. You don't do that. You can be sympathetic without making your interviewee feel like their past actions are STILL hurting you... It's one thing when Shane wants to be YouTube's Ty Pennington and help revive a youtube channel like Bunny's - Extreme Makeover YouTube Edition - or give smaller Youtubers a shot, like Bobby... or explore a social issue or different way of understanding things like with Molly Burke. That's fine. But he should NOT be playing therapist here, especially with someone like Jeffree who has clearly had struggles with his mental health in the past. Like, that shit is scary. He got Jeffree to be really vulnerable, and then acted shocked, hurt, and sad when he saw his scars and heard his story -- you literally can't do that... if you want to be Dr. Phil, go get a degree. You don't know what your words and your responses can do to someone in recovery.

I definitely think a series like this that focused on Shane himself. Or even the squad as a whole - give each person their own video - would be interesting.

I never listed to the podcast, but I saw some other people mention Jessie. Apparently she's Shane's producer now? That's what they called her when they met with the landlady.

Also, I rolled my eyes so hard when they were doing the comparison shots of JS's mansion with his old apartment. Like, that is a nice ass apartment. Especially for LA. If he could afford that, I don't think he was doing as bad as claims he was lmao. But they were trying to make it look so bad with those shots going back and forth before his mansion kitchen and his apartment kitchen. That annoyed me. Like, sure, it's not a mansion, but it's also not exactly the ghetto. You were fine there.

God, why do I always write novels on this site? Sorry, guys.

LemonSqueezy
Foliage

Post by LemonSqueezy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:03 am

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 am

But when JS was showing his scars, that is NOT how you respond... the sad voice "what the fuck, Jeffree...?" was almost like he was shaming him. You don't do that. You can be sympathetic without making your interviewee feel like their past actions are STILL hurting you... It's one thing when Shane wants to be YouTube's Ty Pennington and help revive a youtube channel like Bunny's - Extreme Makeover YouTube Edition - or give smaller Youtubers a shot, like Bobby... or explore a social issue or different way of understanding things like with Molly Burke. That's fine. But he should NOT be playing therapist here, especially with someone like Jeffree who has clearly had struggles with his mental health in the past. Like, that shit is scary. He got Jeffree to be really vulnerable, and then acted shocked, hurt, and sad when he saw his scars and heard his story -- you literally can't do that... if you want to be Dr. Phil, go get a degree. You don't know what your words and your responses can do to someone in recovery.
THIS. Disclaimer: I don't work as a therapist, but I have had training in it. It's such a bad idea to open someone up to that kind of vulnerability if you don't know how to put the pieces back together before the end of a "session." And acting shocked and horrified and telling him "Why would anybody use something like this against you?! No no no" He's totally telling Jeffree his fears aren't valid, when they 100% are. And talking over Jeffree when he tries to explain why he's afraid to show his scars. Shane doesn't have any training in this. It's like playing with fire.

And I know Shane didn't force these things out of him and they were talking as friends, and Shane had good intentions. But It just made me cringe.

Also, I usually hate trigger warnings, but this video needed a trigger warning for people who self harm.
These users thanked the author LemonSqueezy for the post:
Shadow1992

RatchetRachel
Admin

Post by RatchetRachel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 am

LemonSqueezy wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:03 am
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 am

But when JS was showing his scars, that is NOT how you respond... the sad voice "what the fuck, Jeffree...?" was almost like he was shaming him. You don't do that. You can be sympathetic without making your interviewee feel like their past actions are STILL hurting you... It's one thing when Shane wants to be YouTube's Ty Pennington and help revive a youtube channel like Bunny's - Extreme Makeover YouTube Edition - or give smaller Youtubers a shot, like Bobby... or explore a social issue or different way of understanding things like with Molly Burke. That's fine. But he should NOT be playing therapist here, especially with someone like Jeffree who has clearly had struggles with his mental health in the past. Like, that shit is scary. He got Jeffree to be really vulnerable, and then acted shocked, hurt, and sad when he saw his scars and heard his story -- you literally can't do that... if you want to be Dr. Phil, go get a degree. You don't know what your words and your responses can do to someone in recovery.
THIS. Disclaimer: I don't work as a therapist, but I have had training in it. It's such a bad idea to open someone up to that kind of vulnerability if you don't know how to put the pieces back together before the end of a "session." And acting shocked and horrified and telling him "Why would anybody use something like this against you?! No no no" He's totally telling Jeffree his fears aren't valid, when they 100% are. And talking over Jeffree when he tries to explain why he's afraid to show his scars. Shane doesn't have any training in this. It's like playing with fire.

And I know Shane didn't force these things out of him and they were talking as friends, and Shane had good intentions. But It just made me cringe.

Also, I usually hate trigger warnings, but this video needed a trigger warning for people who self harm.
Damn I didn't even think about that with the trigger warning but you're right. And I'm sure Shane would have thought of that but then it would have "spoiled" his big moment with Jeffree so he probably opted to leave it out.

I agree though that Shane's next venture should be into his life and his issues with his body without just cracking jokes about it and talk about his fucked up past more. He thinks everyone else needs to be so open with their viewers but he reeeeally isn't.
These users thanked the author RatchetRachel for the post:
LemonSqueezy
Podcast 25 - F*ck It, We'll Do It Live!
https://soundcloud.com/thegossipgarden/ ... do-it-live

danielwolf
Seed

Post by danielwolf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:02 pm

So many things pissed me off about this series, but one that stuck out to me was Shane's CONSTANT use of "Why don't you EVERRRR talk about this?"
It made me the most mad when he would be referring to things that most people already knew about, such as the F*CKING WAREHOUSE for his HUGE COMPANY. That part of the "series" (I hate even calling it that) made me the most mad. I found the makeup lab one more interesting because that genuinely is something I've never seen before - the process of making the makeup and even pressing the little stars into the eyeshadows. I also loved when Shane asked if Jeffree ever just stopped and asked is this real or whatever and Jeffree was like ... um no I just wanna make more products. It made me laugh because Shane literally makes one video and needs a 3 month break. Idk. I've been watching Shane since probably elementary school and I'm in college now. I miss his old sense of humor, I miss his actual creative video ideas, I even miss his conspiracy videos because at least he put some research into those. I like Jeffree way more than Tana but found the Tanacon series more intriguing than this one. I think what makes me more annoyed is how everyone on Twitter is hyping this up and saying it's TV worthy...like yeah Andrew cackling at NOTHING would be great on TV!! Totally!
These users thanked the author danielwolf for the post:
strawberrybob

crissdank
Sunflower

Post by crissdank » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 pm

I was on reddit today and came across a post about the series and all the comments were just echoing what we said here. Their annoyance was mainly at Garret and Ryland + Shane's fake reactions. I also saw a bunch of posts on Twitter that were mocking how over the top Shane was. I'm glad people are actually noticing how annoying this series was. It could have been much better if Shane actually kept it real.

On Niki Demartino's channel, she is doing a similar "series" thing with a few YouTubers, and although I used to find her channel annoying, she actually made it tolerable to say the least. There's no screaming at target, horror movie sound effects, or continuous fat jokes.. It doesn't feel forced or overproduced, it's just a raw conversation on a couch about issues the "guests" face with no exaggeration whatsoever. Shane should take notes. (If anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7cUdCFEpeU&t=198s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1eb8lr2xz8&t=1749s )

I think Shane started these "series" striving to create something authentic, and when the audience responded well to it he didn't know what to do so he decided to exaggerate it heavily.. till it has now reached this odd (kinda meta) place and has lost it's authenticity. You can't fake "realness", Shane. It either is or isn't. It's like he thinks that if he fake-cries or screams "wHAT THE FUCK JEFFREE" that the viewer will imitate that or be encouraged to react similarly? But what actually happens is that it's distracting and makes the viewer feel awkward and sort of deceived.. cause you can blatantly tell Shane's intentions when he tries to induce tears. Just all in all an off-putting thing for me personally.

anonymousfriend295
Sprout

Post by anonymousfriend295 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Unfortunately, when your lowest-viewed video of the year (not counting Destry & Bobby's weekend videos) still has over 4 million views, you're probably not going to listen to criticism. I mean, I think this JS series is probably the most over-the-top example of Shane's lack of authenticity and it's killing it in the views. By the time the dust settles, all 5 parts will have over 10 million views.

Shane seems to be in a good headspace right now. But remember a year ago when he wasn't happy with his content? He was depressed and it showed very clearly in his videos. Then changed things up and started doing things he liked - even though multi-part series that last hours weren't the norm at the time, he took a risk. It paid off. Now I think he's running out of ideas and I'm worried that he'll fall back into his depressive tendencies.

pretendcat
Foliage

Post by pretendcat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Seeing the scars wasnt triggering for me. Him saying "Jeffree what the fuck" was triggering. Does he not understand that he was borderline shaming him for self-harm? That is NOT how you respond to that. But Shane knows that everyone loves his OTT reactions.

This series was really poorly done imo. Not only was it sitting in limbo for a month, but then it got dragged out even more so Shane could finish editing. And besides the intro and the b-roll footage, it's clear that most of the footage was laid down on the timeline and barely any edits were made, which is why they're all so long. And I get that some people like that because it makes the videos feel more genuine, but it's not acceptable to release videos in that mostly uncut format after weeks of talking about how it's taking forever to edit.

Tusky
Admin

Post by Tusky » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:59 pm

pretendcat wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:52 pm
Seeing the scars wasnt triggering for me. Him saying "Jeffree what the fuck" was triggering. Does he not understand that he was borderline shaming him for self-harm? That is NOT how you respond to that. But Shane knows that everyone loves his OTT reactions.

This series was really poorly done imo. Not only was it sitting in limbo for a month, but then it got dragged out even more so Shane could finish editing. And besides the intro and the b-roll footage, it's clear that most of the footage was laid down on the timeline and barely any edits were made, which is why they're all so long. And I get that some people like that because it makes the videos feel more genuine, but it's not acceptable to release videos in that mostly uncut format after weeks of talking about how it's taking forever to edit.
His vids are long so they get more ads on them, that's why it was 5 parts. It's all about quantity over quality and the views were only big because its jeffree star.
These users thanked the author Tusky for the post:
pretendcat
Episode 25: Jessica Ballinger, Cut, Grav3yard Girl, Chris Ingham
Soundcloud: https://bit.ly/2vEKdNC iTunes: https://apple.co/2J0dcQp

Return to “Shane Dawson”