Re: #Spon Dawson and the Gucci Slide Gang Part 2

Post by anonymousfriend295 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:04 pm

Tusky wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:02 am
KMcWitty wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:43 am
pretendcat wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:41 pm
I can't do it. I literally couldn't bring myself to watch Rylands video and honestly I probably wont watch the JS series. This boujie stuff was funny for like 2 seconds. It's making me sick to my stomach watching youtubers talk about Walmart and other cheaper stores like they're the scum of the earth, and then go on rants about how "they EARNED THEIR MONEY and if they want to buy luxury brands theres nothing wrong with that" (I'm looking at you Garrett, you sad, misinformed beautiful man). I get that when you grow up less fortunate you romanticize these luxury type items but its one thing to buy an item here and there, vs. buying every slide Gucci makes and talking about how wearing Walmart clothes is somehow panic attack inducing.
Same. I just skimmed through it and that was more than enough. What bothers me is Walmart makes comfy ass clothes. Like if I had a choice between buying Gucci and buying Walmart shirts, i'd easily choose Walmart. I just don't get the point in super high luxury brand clothing like it looks awful and is probably made of mostly the same material anyways. Plus lets not forget Shane's wardrobe isn't exactly high end either so I don't know where he's coming from.
I think a lot of what shane wears etc is a bit of a front. I think shane is kind of a "character", but behind the scenes he takes a bit more care of himself.
I don't know. He looks pretty gross in some of his snaps and the more candid shots on the squads' videos. I'll never forget him SHOWING OFF his pee jar that he keeps by his bed and the stains around his toilet that they literally never clean up... so gross.

Cakey wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:50 pm
I hope Shane isn’t going to withhold this video just because it hasn’t been sponsored (saw a tweet from Shane asking any brand to sponsor)
I did see an interview he did with FazeBanks and Keemstar where he said he was getting paid a pittance compared to more family friendly channels which I find so sad for him but I can also guarantee the pay would be a hell of a lot more than what most people earn in a standard day plus the added revenue he gets from people binge-watching his older stuff. A lot of you tubers seem so out of touch with how many of us actually live and they earned lots of money at top Young an age. Shane comes across as humble because he remembers how he and his family struggled financially but since ryland came on to the scene everything is suddenly Money money money.
He needs to get new management or something if his people can't find sponsors for him. I've been non-family friendly folks get sponsorships. Heck, even AbsolutelyBlake, which is 90% about sex, has sponsors sometimes.

I never thought of it that way, but I think you're right about youtubers being out of touch with real world finances because they got rich so young. So they went from their parents supporting them to these massive six and seven figure annual incomes in their teens and twenties. They got on YT at the right time, just as the platform was starting to explode. Shane himself has never had a "real" job, has he?
These users thanked the author anonymousfriend295 for the post:
Cakey

Cakey
Sprout

Post by Cakey » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:12 pm

anonymousfriend295 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:04 pm
Tusky wrote:
KMcWitty wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:43 am

Same. I just skimmed through it and that was more than enough. What bothers me is Walmart makes comfy ass clothes. Like if I had a choice between buying Gucci and buying Walmart shirts, i'd easily choose Walmart. I just don't get the point in super high luxury brand clothing like it looks awful and is probably made of mostly the same material anyways. Plus lets not forget Shane's wardrobe isn't exactly high end either so I don't know where he's coming from.
I think a lot of what shane wears etc is a bit of a front. I think shane is kind of a "character", but behind the scenes he takes a bit more care of himself.
I don't know. He looks pretty gross in some of his snaps and the more candid shots on the squads' videos. I'll never forget him SHOWING OFF his pee jar that he keeps by his bed and the stains around his toilet that they literally never clean up... so gross.

Cakey wrote:
I hope Shane isn’t going to withhold this video just because it hasn’t been sponsored (saw a tweet from Shane asking any brand to sponsor)
I did see an interview he did with FazeBanks and Keemstar where he said he was getting paid a pittance compared to more family friendly channels which I find so sad for him but I can also guarantee the pay would be a hell of a lot more than what most people earn in a standard day plus the added revenue he gets from people binge-watching his older stuff. A lot of you tubers seem so out of touch with how many of us actually live and they earned lots of money at top Young an age. Shane comes across as humble because he remembers how he and his family struggled financially but since ryland came on to the scene everything is suddenly Money money money.
He needs to get new management or something if his people can't find sponsors for him. I've been non-family friendly folks get sponsorships. Heck, even AbsolutelyBlake, which is 90% about sex, has sponsors sometimes.

I never thought of it that way, but I think you're right about youtubers being out of touch with real world finances because they got rich so young. So they went from their parents supporting them to these massive six and seven figure annual incomes in their teens and twenties. They got on YT at the right time, just as the platform was starting to explode. Shane himself has never had a "real" job, has he?
I agree he needs to reassess who his management company is but he seems pretty self-reliant and maybe doesn’t want a third-party taking a cut of his revenue maybe? Just a thought.
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t he, his mom and brother all work in a store then got fired for shooting a video there?

anonymousfriend295
Sprout

Post by anonymousfriend295 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:05 am

Cakey wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:12 pm
anonymousfriend295 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:04 pm
Tusky wrote:

Cakey wrote:

I agree he needs to reassess who his management company is but he seems pretty self-reliant and maybe doesn’t want a third-party taking a cut of his revenue maybe? Just a thought.
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t he, his mom and brother all work in a store then got fired for shooting a video there?
Oh yeah, you're right. Jenny Craig, I think. I wasn't a viewer back then, so I don't know what happened. But they mentioned it int he Kathy Griffin video because the whole family watched one of her specials after they got fired to cheer them up or something.

If he really wants to make the kind of money he's worth, and is apparently not making with adsense, I just really think he needs to start treating his channel more like a business. He's the creative force behind the channel. He wants to do the filmmaking and docu-series and try new, innovative things for the platform. That's FINE. But he needs to expand his team so he can hire someone to handle the business side of things. We've talked about it before, but there are tons of channels with far fewer viewer numbers who have sponsors on every single video. But that's because they have someone on their staff whose sole job it is to make the phone calls, build relationships with companies, and get the sponsorships.

I think another reason he may not be able to get as many sponsorships could be his erratic upload schedule. In the business world, deals happen over time. Brands want to know what your video ideas are and when they're going to be posted before they sign onto anything. If he had an actual upload schedule and three months of filming planned, then he would be in a better position to sell sponsorships. Instead, he makes a series THEN tries to get it sponsored, then gets frustrated when it doesn't happen and he has to push the release.

From my perspective, it all goes back to running his channel like business versus running it like a passion project. If he wants to be sponsored and he wants to make as much money as he can from his endeavors, he needs to professionalize his operation and standardize his production and schedule - get a staff/writer/producer to help come up with video ideas that you can plan a couple of months in advance and a sales person to get the ads and sponsorships. It'll take some investment in salaries and whatnot, but it's the only way he can really grow. Heck, I know one company that hires ad sales folks on largely commission basis, so they don't get paid much if they don't bring in sponsors. That'd be one way to go - offer the sales person a cut of the sponsorship.

What does Garrett do? Isn't he on Shane's team in some capacity? I know they started that production company together and rented that three story townhouse/office... put him to work. He's creative. He can help come up with video series ideas, etc.

idk. It just seems like he wants the money without the work. I get that filmmaking is difficult, and he puts a lot of work into the creative side of things, but it doesn't seem like he puts any effort at all into the business side, and he doesn't get that that's his problem.
These users thanked the author anonymousfriend295 for the post (total 2):
pretendcatCakey

pretendcat
Foliage

Post by pretendcat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:54 pm

The bitter part of me is laughing that he pushed this video back so long in order to get a brand deal, just to come up short.

Tusky
Admin

Post by Tusky » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:51 pm

pretendcat wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:54 pm
The bitter part of me is laughing that he pushed this video back so long in order to get a brand deal, just to come up short.
oooh he never got a sponsor?
Episode 25: Jessica Ballinger, Cut, Grav3yard Girl, Chris Ingham
Soundcloud: https://bit.ly/2vEKdNC iTunes: https://apple.co/2J0dcQp

pretendcat
Foliage

Post by pretendcat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:42 pm

Tusky wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:51 pm
pretendcat wrote:
Three days ago he retweeted a fan saying "this videos should seriously have ads" and added that he was still looking for a sponsor for the series. Kinda sad when your own fans are trying to get sponsorships for you because you can't.

Tusky
Admin

Post by Tusky » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 am

pretendcat wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:42 pm
Tusky wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:51 pm
pretendcat wrote:
Three days ago he retweeted a fan saying "this videos should seriously have ads" and added that he was still looking for a sponsor for the series. Kinda sad when your own fans are trying to get sponsorships for you because you can't.
That's what happens when you create controversial content. As well as that, he probably is able to get sponsors, but he's being too choosy. As if he couldn't get dollar shave club, honey, that dumb sticker one. I think he's trying to go bigger, but people don't want to sponsor him because
1) he has been pretty controversial. Even though it's not his fault, people probably see the pedo drama and associate that with him, as well as the blackface etc
2) It's Jeffree fucking Star. That in itself would make it hard to get a sponsor.

I also wonder how many opportunities he's thrown away because he has been unrealistic or greedy. Do you think he's not been able to get a TV show because he wont let anyone else do anything?
These users thanked the author Tusky for the post (total 2):
pretendcatCakey

danielwolf
Seed

Post by danielwolf » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:15 pm

Becoming so sick of the ass-kissing of Shane on social media. You would think he created Oscar winning films if you read anything about him on Twitter. It makes it hard to enjoy his videos when he overhypes them as much as he (and his fans) do.

Tusky
Admin

Post by Tusky » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:23 pm

danielwolf wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:15 pm
Becoming so sick of the ass-kissing of Shane on social media. You would think he created Oscar winning films if you read anything about him on Twitter. It makes it hard to enjoy his videos when he overhypes them as much as he (and his fans) do.
They're basically long staged vlogs where everyone rehashes the same jokes over and over. David dobrik does that shit every day and is more consistent and polished. Maybe if Shane learned to stage and film stuff better he wouldnt be editing for days.
These users thanked the author Tusky for the post (total 2):
danielwolfCakey

smileyspoonie
Seed

Post by smileyspoonie » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:54 pm

I have gone through an emotional rollercoaster with Shane lately and the JS series. I wasn't a JS fan at all and thought this was really random? Then when Shane posted some of the "trailers" and JS posted the Walmart video, I was intrigued. Now after watching the first video (that viewers have been waiting for b/c of the constant pushback) I am SO let down. I have a feeling this "Five Part Series" could be pushed into one or two videos. I was bored with 95% of the video. We get it he's rich. He has a huge house. I could care less to see what his toilet looks like.

I'm a Shane fan, he's probably the only person on this site I won't hate because he's so real about everything (that's another story though). I can say I am really let down by this series already and it could be the first videos of Shane's I won't watch on time or at all even. The first video anticipation was a rollercoaster that went nowhere.

pretendcat
Foliage

Post by pretendcat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:59 pm

I caved and watched the video... honestly I found some of the stuff Jeffrey said to be pretty funny. I like that he called himself an alien. Shane on the other hand, I didnt find anything he said funny at all. I also cringed every single time Shane said "I'm poor". No you're not, you privileged ass, you're not allowed to joke about being poor when you dont even have dishes in the house you've lived in for years because you order food for every single meal.
These users thanked the author pretendcat for the post (total 4):
TuskyKMcWittydanielwolfCakey

Tusky
Admin

Post by Tusky » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:14 pm

pretendcat wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:59 pm
I caved and watched the video... honestly I found some of the stuff Jeffrey said to be pretty funny. I like that he called himself an alien. Shane on the other hand, I didnt find anything he said funny at all. I also cringed every single time Shane said "I'm poor". No you're not, you privileged ass, you're not allowed to joke about being poor when you dont even have dishes in the house you've lived in for years because you order food for every single meal.
exactly! If you have the privilege of being able to hold off on posting your work to get better deals then you ain't strapped for cash.
Also the "MEEEEE" jokes are done. over. it's the saaaaame jokes over and over and over, "can't relate" about being skinny "meeee" over something trashy, "meeee" over something gay related, "tongue click", "wig snatched".

And wtf is this conspiracy about where he makes his money? Anyone with two brain cells knows he has a fucking HUGE makeup company. what's the conspiracy? that he invests in weed?
These users thanked the author Tusky for the post (total 3):
strawberrybobpretendcatdanielwolf

barnicole85
Sprout

Post by barnicole85 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:33 pm

The first I heard of Jeffree was the drama with Kat Von D. Only this year I've started to watch a few of his videos.

I agree with you @Tusky. Don't know what the big deal is about his companies. With the few videos I've seen, he's mentioned his weed investments and also about his makeup company and his employees. Why wouldn't he invest his money in properties etc? He'd be silly not to!

I also don't know why Shane pretends to be so poor either. I actually find it a bit degrading to the viewers.

People are always going to be fascinated with how the "other half lives" so of course these videos will do well.

pretendcat
Foliage

Post by pretendcat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:56 pm

Tusky wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:14 pm
pretendcat wrote:
exactly! If you have the privilege of being able to hold off on posting your work to get better deals then you ain't strapped for cash.
Also the "MEEEEE" jokes are done. over. it's the saaaaame jokes over and over and over, "can't relate" about being skinny "meeee" over something trashy, "meeee" over something gay related, "tongue click", "wig snatched".

And wtf is this conspiracy about where he makes his money? Anyone with two brain cells knows he has a fucking HUGE makeup company. what's the conspiracy? that he invests in weed?
Right? I dont understand why he thinks theres some weird secret stuff going on. He's a business owner. And he had a music career. He's been famous for a decade if not longer. I've known about Jeffrey since I was 12.

Tusky
Admin

Post by Tusky » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:09 am

now YT have him as #1 on trending, what excuse is he gonna have for his lazy posting schedule, of course, everyone is sucking his dick over it, YTers are SO transparent

smileyspoonie
Seed

Post by smileyspoonie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:47 am

Tusky wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:14 pm
pretendcat wrote:

Riiiighhtt? Normally it doesn't bother me, but this video seemed so stretched out, it was like 45 minutes too long of "meeeeee" jokes.

anonymousfriend295
Sprout

Post by anonymousfriend295 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:59 am

That was painful. It's 50/50 whether or not I'll watch the rest. Depends on how much I want to procrastinate my own work.

Just all this fawning over wealth... they complain about the Pauls sending the wrong message, glorifying materialism over everything else. Then he has an orgasm every time he goes into another room of Jeffree's house. It really bothers me. People like Shane because he has this relatable persona. We know he's rich, but he's still down to earth. He doesn't wear ugly ass $3000 articles of clothing or blow three years of a normal person's salary on a fucking bag. He doesn't flex. We're not interested in that kind of stuff. It's over the top and honestly insulting.

All that being said, how angry do you think Ryland was when he couldn't go? lmao But honestly, he would have made this video even more unbearable than it already is.
These users thanked the author anonymousfriend295 for the post:
pretendcat

Return to “Shane Dawson”