#Spon Dawson and the Gucci Slide Gang Part 2

Post by theoncomingdragons » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:23 am

:tea: :tea:

Tusky
Admin

Re: #Spon Dawson and the Gucci Slide Gang Part 2

Post by Tusky » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:29 am

Yas new thread!

So my theory on this whole tana shit so far is that tana low key knew there were no free passes, and was ok because it was making more money, but she didnt know it was going to oversell by that much.
These users thanked the author Tusky for the post:
kinoko
Episode 25: Jessica Ballinger, Cut, Grav3yard Girl, Chris Ingham
Soundcloud: https://bit.ly/2vEKdNC iTunes: https://apple.co/2J0dcQp

Tusky
Admin

Post by Tusky » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Morgan jumping in on the tana train. Like her hot take matters lol

LemonSqueezy
Foliage

Post by LemonSqueezy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:42 pm

I have to say as much as people didn't want this series, he is doing a good job with it. I'm kinda hooked on finding out what happened. And I couldn't give two shits about Tanacon a week ago lol

I still don't get what the hold up is with the Jeffree Star series. He needs to hire another editor if this is too much for him and Andrew...
These users thanked the author LemonSqueezy for the post (total 4):
HidingBehindUserNameViceykinokoignorantslut

Vicey
Seed

Post by Vicey » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:40 am

LemonSqueezy wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:42 pm
I have to say as much as people didn't want this series, he is doing a good job with it. I'm kinda hooked on finding out what happened. And I couldn't give two shits about Tanacon a week ago lol

I still don't get what the hold up is with the Jeffree Star series. He needs to hire another editor if this is too much for him and Andrew...
I was so far from caring. I have never watched Tana. From the bits I've seen in others videos she looks like a moron. But I was sitting on my fat bum at home with nothing to do, so I watched part one, then part 2..... and now I don't know what to think, but I need answers.... :rofl: I feel like it's a bit of the fault of Tana and also the company running the event. Perhaps we find out in part 3.

That said, he sure managed to film and edit this quickly...... Maybe a bit more effort required for other vids in the future.

strawberrybob
Red Rose

Post by strawberrybob » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:02 pm

I wonder why shane would even give James the time of day. James to me seems like a social climber & not very genuine.

KMcWitty
Sunflower

Post by KMcWitty » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:46 am

I wanna know where Shane gets all the b-roll footage they splice in during the video (i.e. the footage of Michael from Good Times looking like an evil villain in front of the fire place). Also Michael himself is such a mystery to me and his interview with Shane just raised a bunch of questions... How did his company get that profitable? How does a 21 year old acquire 700K to dump into an event? I'd watch a 3 part series about him lol. Also I totally believe him when he says Tana was out at a Studio 71 party the night of the Tanacon disaster.

And surprise surprise, part 3 was supposed to come out today and it's now coming on Monday. Wah wah.

anonymousfriend295
Sprout

Post by anonymousfriend295 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:46 am

I've been lurking and reading the whole darn thread tonight. Back in February, folks were talking about Shane's wealth-hiding and how much his house is worth:
by Sunflower18 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:57 pm

klove wrote: ↑Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:14 pm
strawberrybob wrote: ↑Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:57 pm
Sunflower18 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:10 am
Does anyone know how much his house cost? I feel like it was probably as much as Colleens just because of its location
I think he rents but the house itself must be worth millions.
The house he lives in is pretty modest for the location actually. I remember seeing that Colleen’s mansion was worth like 2M (someone correct me if I’m wrong on that) and that house had recently been flipped when she bought it. I would be shocked if Shane’s house was worth any more than that, since his house is older and not as big as Colleen’s.
2.5 million
Shane's location though and his view, Colleens is more a family house in the suburbs. I would be surprised if you can get anything under 2-3 million where Shane lives.
I'm a pretty decent internet sleuth, so I did some research, found his house on Google Maps, did a street view to get the address, then looked up the latest real estate listing (I won't post that here to avoid doxing him, and I'm sure that's against the rules anyway), but he bought the place in 2016 for $1.7million. It's worth an estimated 1.8 now. If you have the skills, try to find that listing - the house is the same (Shane & co. didn't repaint or anything) and you can actually see how beautiful it is when it's clean!).

But yeah, Shane's whole "I'm not rich" thing always rubs me the wrong way. Especially after his therapy session with Bunny, where he told her to show off her success. He buys people cars, spent 10s of thousands on that Texas trip (that whole series was way over done. The only interesting part was the night in the haunted hotel), and then Ryland's recent sponsored video where THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE PAN TO COOK IN after living in this place for two years, which means they literally order out for EVERY MEAL... and now he's offering to refund Tanacon goers out of his own pocket if Good Times doesn't come through -- AND IT'S NOT EVEN HIS EVENT. Bro, you got money. That's okay. I'm not offended by wealth, but I am offended by people who try to hide their wealth just to seem relatable. It's like... I don't know... there's a happy medium between Shane's "I'm sooooo poor" facade (while wearing Gucci slides with his holey shirts) and Jake & Logan Paul's flaunting. Like he told Bunny, be your authentic self.

I'm enjoying the Tanacon content (and I'm glad he put this ahead of the Jeffree Star series, which I probably won't watch because I just don't get the appeal), and I'm super impressed with how fast that came together. But part 3 is coming out on Monday and that, of course, means that'll be the only thing released next week. His upload schedule is infuriating. He needs to take a week and film a shit ton of shorter, easier-to-film and edit videos that he can post between his larger-concept series.

I wish I was around here during the Bobby Burns thing. I've had so many rants to my fish about him. But y'all have moved on, so I will too.

Anyway. I missed a lot of conversations. Sorry of the off-topic/throwback-ness of this post!

anonymousfriend295
Sprout

Post by anonymousfriend295 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:51 am

KMcWitty wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:46 am
I wanna know where Shane gets all the b-roll footage they splice in during the video (i.e. the footage of Michael from Good Times looking like an evil villain in front of the fire place). Also Michael himself is such a mystery to me and his interview with Shane just raised a bunch of questions... How did his company get that profitable? How does a 21 year old acquire 700K to dump into an event? I'd watch a 3 part series about him lol. Also I totally believe him when he says Tana was out at a Studio 71 party the night of the Tanacon disaster.

And surprise surprise, part 3 was supposed to come out today and it's now coming on Monday. Wah wah.
Here's an interesting video that kind of digs into Michael a little. His whole company seems pretty shady.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtIVf2IwGi0[/youtube]

KMcWitty
Sunflower

Post by KMcWitty » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:25 am

anonymousfriend295 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:46 am
I wish I was around here during the Bobby Burns thing. I've had so many rants to my fish about him. But y'all have moved on, so I will too.
Bitch are you kidding!? Spill the tea!

Also lowkey interested in finding Shane's place haha. I've found a couple of YouTubers places but his I haven't been able to yet. Granted I haven't tried too hard lol.

strawberrybob
Red Rose

Post by strawberrybob » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:37 pm

KMcWitty wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:25 am

Also lowkey interested in finding Shane's place haha. I've found a couple of YouTubers places but his I haven't been able to yet. Granted I haven't tried too hard lol.
Yea pls spill the tea I literally hate Bobby lmao

anonymousfriend295
Sprout

Post by anonymousfriend295 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:20 pm

strawberrybob wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:37 pm
KMcWitty wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:25 am

Yea pls spill the tea I literally hate Bobby lmao
No real tea or anything that hasn't already been said, but he's just so frustrating as a creator. He's reinvented himself and his channel a hundred times. I mean, no shade, but if you've been on youtube for 10 years like he has and still didn't reach the point where you could rely on YT for full time income until you collabed with Shane, maybe it's not the best career choice.

I was actually a casual fan of Bobby's before the Shane collab. I wasn't subscribed, but his videos would pop up in my recs every once in a while and I'd enjoy them. I liked his commentary on youtubers and internet culture.

Then he became the exact thing he complained about. It was a big eff you to his original fans. There were like 7 videos in a row about his move to LA. The videos he did on Shane's channel were cringey af. He tried to build a "squad" way too fast, so no one was invested in them as "characters" in his new vlog series, so they were mostly just annoying. And don't even get me started on his girlfriend. If you think Ryland is bad... she's like the rudest, self-obsessed, most entitled I've come across. Like almost Chris & Jess levels.

Then his mental breakdown video. omfg. The opening scene was SO MUCH CRINGE. I literally had to stop. Because when you think about the process it took to make that. He had to get out of bed, set up the camera and lighting, then get back in bed, and act it all out. And when he actually talked about the mental breakdown, he did exact things he talks about in his manipulation video.

None of his new content is working. He made a big deal about relaunching things a couple of weeks ago, and his "new" content was mimicking David Dobrik? How is that different from trying out the LA Youtuber Culture videos everyone hated? And then his latest video was just him being sick (although he had a lot of energy for a sick person, and didn't seem very sick... no coughing or sniffles or dry mouth or anything) and acting dumb. Which blows my mind that, assuming he actually is sick, THAT'S what he uploaded this week. Because he gave the impression that took the time he wasn't posting to film a bunch of stuff. So I assumed that there was a bunch of stuff in the can (which is smart, so you have stuff to upload even when you get behind on work -- TAKE A NOTE, SHANE). But no, he couldn't upload new content because he's been sick.... what happened to everything he's been filming over the last month+?

It's all just BS.

Back before the Shane collab, his brother, Nathan, was a big part of the channel. I think he was a bigger part than people think. It seems like he was the brains behind the content, while Bobby was the face of the channel.

It's just amazing to me. I feel bad for him because he's just a kid. But he was so obnoxious about everything. He and his gf got giant cartoon dollar signs in their eyes the second Shane contacted him. They even vlogged it - that whole "what really happens when you collab with a big youtuber" video is really telling. Just all about the numbers and how much they're going to profit. They thought they had it made. Moved to the center of Youtube culture - which happens to be one of the most expensive places in the world - moved all of his friends in with him, who had no way to support themselves. And then he squandered everything by trying to reinvent himself into what he thinks a successful youtuber should be. He tried to be a Paul or a David Dobrik. But that's not what he does well and he's alienated his original fanbase, as well as the subs Shane sent his way.

He was doing decent before Shane. He was regularly hitting 250,000 views with some videos doing much, much better (some passing a million). Since Shane, he had a slight uptick, but then crashed and burned. Since the announcement of "Bobby Burns 5.0" 3 months ago, he's had one video pass 200k, which was his mental breakdown video. And since then, he's struggled to hit 100k. His Infinity War review is the only one to do that, and even that only got 118k.

I also agree with the general consensus y'all had about Shane rewarding bullying, etc. The job & car thing was ridiculous. But about the "job" thing - I think they had different understandings about what that meant. I think Bobby initially thought it was like a fully time job creating or editing for Shane's channel. It seems like Shane thought it was "take over Sundays and you can have some of the ad revenue/sponsorship dollars" or whatever. I'm sure they discussed it more in-depth after the intial phone call in the vlog we saw, but I think there was a misunderstanding about how they defined "job" in terms of how much he'd be making, etc.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. None of my friends are much into youtube, so I don't get to vent these things to people lmao
These users thanked the author anonymousfriend295 for the post (total 3):
kinokostrawberrybobtheoncomingdragons

kinoko
Sprout

Post by kinoko » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:31 pm

@anonymousfriend295 Everything you said about Bobby is so spot on! Seriously, couldn't have said it better myself.

Interesting note about the girlfriend- I noticed something off about her as well. She comes across as super rude and also kind of controlling to me. It seems like she would throw a fit if Bobby made even a single decision on his own. I got that vibe from the youtuber trends video they did on Shane's channel where he had to ask her permission to buy something for the video (and other, less memorable scenes that have rubbed me the wrong way). And also she seems super standoffish in groups. Like she's pouting all the time or something.
These users thanked the author kinoko for the post:
strawberrybob

Tusky
Admin

Post by Tusky » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:24 pm

kinoko wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:31 pm
@anonymousfriend295 Everything you said about Bobby is so spot on! Seriously, couldn't have said it better myself.

Interesting note about the girlfriend- I noticed something off about her as well. She comes across as super rude and also kind of controlling to me. It seems like she would throw a fit if Bobby made even a single decision on his own. I got that vibe from the youtuber trends video they did on Shane's channel where he had to ask her permission to buy something for the video (and other, less memorable scenes that have rubbed me the wrong way). And also she seems super standoffish in groups. Like she's pouting all the time or something.
Yes!!!!! I really get bad vibes from her. Its like she seemed just kinda shy at first, but just the way she acts makes me think shes probably a nightmare. They also act and post like they're 15.
These users thanked the author Tusky for the post:
kinoko

CuriousGeorgette
Foliage

Post by CuriousGeorgette » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:21 am

I've been lurking and reading the whole darn thread tonight. Back in February, folks were talking about Shane's wealth-hiding and how much his house is worth:

Does anyone know how much his house cost? I feel like it was probably as much as Colleens just because of its location
The house he lives in is pretty modest for the location actually. I remember seeing that Colleen’s mansion was worth like 2M (someone correct me if I’m wrong on that) and that house had recently been flipped when she bought it. I would be shocked if Shane’s house was worth any more than that, since his house is older and not as big as Colleen’s.
2.5 million
Shane's location though and his view, Colleens is more a family house in the suburbs. I would be surprised if you can get anything under 2-3 million where Shane lives.
I'm a pretty decent internet sleuth, so I did some research, found his house on Google Maps, did a street view to get the address, then looked up the latest real estate listing (I won't post that here to avoid doxing him, and I'm sure that's against the rules anyway), but he bought the place in 2016 for $1.7million. It's worth an estimated 1.8 now. If you have the skills, try to find that listing - the house is the same (Shane & co. didn't repaint or anything) and you can actually see how beautiful it is when it's clean!).

But yeah, Shane's whole "I'm not rich" thing always rubs me the wrong way. Especially after his therapy session with Bunny, where he told her to show off her success. He buys people cars, spent 10s of thousands on that Texas trip (that whole series was way over done. The only interesting part was the night in the haunted hotel), and then Ryland's recent sponsored video where THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE PAN TO COOK IN after living in this place for two years, which means they literally order out for EVERY MEAL... and now he's offering to refund Tanacon goers out of his own pocket if Good Times doesn't come through -- AND IT'S NOT EVEN HIS EVENT. Bro, you got money. That's okay. I'm not offended by wealth, but I am offended by people who try to hide their wealth just to seem relatable. It's like... I don't know... there's a happy medium between Shane's "I'm sooooo poor" facade (while wearing Gucci slides with his holey shirts) and Jake & Logan Paul's flaunting. Like he told Bunny, be your authentic self.

I'm enjoying the Tanacon content (and I'm glad he put this ahead of the Jeffree Star series, which I probably won't watch because I just don't get the appeal), and I'm super impressed with how fast that came together. But part 3 is coming out on Monday and that, of course, means that'll be the only thing released next week. His upload schedule is infuriating. He needs to take a week and film a shit ton of shorter, easier-to-film and edit videos that he can post between his larger-concept series.

Anyway. I missed a lot of conversations. Sorry of the off-topic/throwback-ness of this post!

I think perhaps he doesn’t really feel like a rich dude, though? Or know how to deal with having above average in terms of wealth, he seems almost naive in some ways. But to be fair, I’d kind of feel the same way if I got rich off of youtube - never wanting to flaunt it, obviously, but taking advantage of it when I have to and putting it to good use, but I would feel uncomfortable showing it off and probably feel just like an average person aside from income. I think he is being his authentic self by just behaving as he always has. He’s richer, sure, but this is most definitely a “damned if I do, damned if I don’t” kind of a thing. If he shows it off, damn him. If he doesn’t, damn him. I think he might be the kind of person who wants to just live semi-modestly + take advantage of the perks in certain ways and just be himself. Like eating out. So he doesn’t cook, he can afford not to have that skill nailed down. So what? I don’t see the issue.

anonymousfriend295
Sprout

Post by anonymousfriend295 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:58 am

CuriousGeorgette wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:21 am

2.5 million

I think perhaps he doesn’t really feel like a rich dude, though? Or know how to deal with having above average in terms of wealth, he seems almost naive in some ways. But to be fair, I’d kind of feel the same way if I got rich off of youtube - never wanting to flaunt it, obviously, but taking advantage of it when I have to and putting it to good use, but I would feel uncomfortable showing it off and probably feel just like an average person aside from income. I think he is being his authentic self by just behaving as he always has. He’s richer, sure, but this is most definitely a “damned if I do, damned if I don’t” kind of a thing. If he shows it off, damn him. If he doesn’t, damn him. I think he might be the kind of person who wants to just live semi-modestly + take advantage of the perks in certain ways and just be himself. Like eating out. So he doesn’t cook, he can afford not to have that skill nailed down. So what? I don’t see the issue.
I guess it's not so much that he downplays it in his lifestyle and what he shows on camera. It's more like the way he acts on other platforms about it. Like a few weeks ago when he went like two or three weeks without posting anything, and some people on twitter were complaining and saying that because he's rich, he can just do whatever he wants and not stick to a schedule, he tweeted something that was like emphatically stating "I'm not fucking rich" or something like that. It's that kind of stuff... the whole faux poverty thing mixed with his extravagances always feels weird to me.

But Shane is great. He's by far my favorite youtuber. This and his ridiculous upload non-schedule are really my only complaints about him, and they're pretty minor. (And his hygiene, but that's something he and Ryland need to deal with. It doesn't affect viewers at all).

KMcWitty
Sunflower

Post by KMcWitty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:44 am

Anyone catch what Shane tweeted to Chescaleigh tonight? Looks like they had a tiny bit of drama on Twitter. I can't see the tweet since Shane deleted it and i'm curious as to what he wrote.

Return to “Shane Dawson”